A while back I was nominated for yet another Liebster award by the sweet Marina from Earth to Marina. I put off writing the post since I had just done two of them but now I thought maybe enough time has passed so that you won’t feel like I’m doing these every single day :P
This month was my first time participating in any sort of a blogger swap. Love in a Box blogger swap is organized by Megan from Lush to Blush and Kimberly from Kimberly’s Chronicle. The rules are fairly simple: Sign up on the blogger swap page and you’ll get paired up with someone every month and after getting to know each other a bit better, you’ll send a box of surprise goodies to them. And afterwards of course you’ll make a post about the whole thing.
Here are the more precise rules:
- Box value cannot exceed $25, or $20 for international swaps.
- Boxes must be sent by the 18th of each month, or by the 15th for international swaps.
- Each participant must create a blog post about the swap and include a link to this page for interested bloggers.
- Each participant must follow the hosts, Megan of Lush to Blush and Kimberly of Kimberly’s Chronicle on Bloglovin‘ and at least one other social media. You must also follow the blogger you are swapped with each month. Link to the blogger swap page and you’re good to go!
For my first swap, I got paired with the amazing Emily Finta from Designs by Emily F who was so nice and is a fan of pretty much all the same TV shows as me! :D She was such a sweetheart when we were emailing: Emily’s a graphic designer (how cool is that?!) and she is also a Harry Potter and Psych fan. She was super considerate in making sure I got my package in time (downsides of living in Finland…) and sent me the greatest pack of surprise goodies!
Emily’s box for me included:
- an Amazon gift card which I used when I ordered a Buffy t-shirt I’ve been eyeing on for a while now (great choice from Emily and, yet again, very considerate because she knew it takes a long time for the package to arrive to Finland)
- Candy which is great because I love having chocolate with coffee (also, we don’t have all those candies in Finland so it’s going to be fun to try them out!)
- a Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm (unapologetic) in such a lovely pink shade<3
- Buffy, Doctor Who and Harry Potter stickers, which I’ll probably use to decorate my school folders (they are in desperate need of something to make them look a bit cheerier)
Thanks again, Emily! Now, EVERYONE, go and follow her, okay?!
In other news, one of the co-host for the Love in a Box swap, Megan from Lush to Blush, recently entered into a boyfriend jeans challenge. All the participants had to style an outfit with boyfriend jeans and now Megan is one of the eight finalists! If she wins, she gets to fly out to London for a shopping trip. Here is a quote from Megan’s blog post, telling why she’d love to go:
Here’s a tribute to those geeky gals of Hollywood who inspire me daily!
1. Alyson Hannigan: This lovely actress first appeared on my radar as Willow Rosenberg, Buffy’s witchy friend on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Those of you who have been following my blog for a longer time might remember that I’m doing my thesis on Willow, which has been a pretty fun experience so far (well, as much fun as a stressful and difficult project like a thesis can ever be). Now Alyson has been entertaining audiences as Lily in How I Met Your Mother. She was also a part of the American Pie movies. Anyone who watches Alyson longer will not be able to resist her charm and contagious smile. She broke ground with Amber Benson in Buffy by showing a loving and long-lasting lesbian relationship on prime-time television.
2. Ellen Page: This funny gal has been in everything from Juno to Inception. She recently took a heroic stand against the pressures of Hollywood and came out as a lesbian. She excels in comedy as well as drama and looks cute as a button. What’s not to like? She’s also a feminist who does yoga and mediates regularly – something to aspire to. I can’t wait to see her in action in the new X-Men movie!
3. Amber Benson: Another member of the Buffy family. Amber portrayed Tara – Willow’s wiccan girlfriend who died tragically and left Willow brokenhearted. Amber is not only a great actress but also a prolific fantasy author with over a dozen books under her belt. She also did a small role in Supernatural – something she has in common with the lovely Felicia Day.
4. Zooey Deschanel: Zooey captured everyone’s hearts in (500) Days of Summer and now keeps us laughing with her portrayal of Jess in New Girl. Some of you might also remember her from things like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (one of my favorite books!) and Almost Famous. If her last name sounds familiar, it might be because her older sister Emily stars in the hit show Bones. Zooey is also a singer and a song-writer and she sings in many of her movie and television roles. Her huge eyes, signature bangs and penchant for vintage clothing make her even more memorable!
5. Emma Stone: Easy A, The Amazing Spider-man, The Help, and more…Emma Stone is a hilarious comedienne who has shown she’s not afraid of drama and tough issues. The funny redhead has won several awards and is on the way to becoming a superstar. She’s not afraid to be silly and has commendably stayed out of tabloids. Currently dating actor Andrew Garfield, Emma seems to be one of the most down to earth girls in Hollywood.
6. Felicia Day: The ultimate geek goddess. Felicia Day is a true gamer girl and the creator of several web series, the most famous being The Guild, which garnered a huge fan base during its six seasons. She has since appeared as a guest in several episodes of Supernatural and Outlands. And who could ever forget her short but memorable stunt as a potential Slayer in Buffy. Yes, another Buffy alumna. Felicia should be celebrated not only because of her talent but also because of her clear dedication to the geek cause and to her fans. She is a regular in different cons and always clearly excited to be there.
Last weekend I attended our English student organization’s anniversary dinner party. The dress code has been under a lot of debate during my time at the university and no one ever seems to know whether to opt for a proper evening gown or a nice cocktail dress. Last year I chose the evening gown but this year – partly because of the snow storm outside – I went with a cocktail dress that I hadn’t really worn before that.
It was a good choice because it allowed plenty of movement but was still dressy enough for the occasion. I also like to think that it went well with my red hair. :D I accessorized with a pair of turquoise drop earrings and a pair of denim ballerinas (I needed comfy shoes so it didn’t matter that they didn’t match the cocktail dress perfectly).
What’s the last time you had to wear a fancy dress? (I for one don’t get enough of those occasions.)
Everyone has certain goals in life – but whether those are a career in something they are passionate about, marrying the dream guy or staying in touch with all your friends, it depends on the person. I wanted to share with you my current goals for the near future. Maybe if they’re out there for all the world to see I’ll be more inclined to do something about them.
It’s hard trying to stick to your dreams and continue trying to fulfill them when you’re constantly swamped with school and work. One thing that can help is drawing up a list of your goals and commit to fulfilling maybe three of them in a year. This way you won’t feel like you have to have time to do everything but you’ll still feel satisfied about having followed through with some of your goals at the end of the year.
My goals for the next few years are:
- learn how to use InDesign
- go to an actual photography course
- travel as much as possible
- do an internship
- graduate with BA (this is SO close already!) and MA
- start writing more actual letters
- keep better contact with those friends who live abroad
- draw/write/craft more
- stop being so lazy (seriously!)
- exercise more – and get better/more flexible in yoga!
- drink more water (I don’t know why I have such unhealthy eating/drinking habits)
- I know how to use Photoshop but I want to learn it better
- I’d like to do a course or in general study a bit about marketing/advertising/copy-writing/publishing
- I’d love to do volunteer work abroad at some point
- continue growing and developing this blog
These are just some of my goals and I’m sure I won’t follow all of them but I’ll definitely try.
What are some of our dreams and goals? I’d love to hear about them and about your progress!
I thought it would be a high time for another link round-up!
First a few Her Campus links that describe my Spring perfectly:
Go check out the Scandinavia and the world comics if you haven’t already! They’re brilliant and hilarious. I love the character of Finland: Scandinavia and the world comic
Here’s an awesome Disney princess parody video. These same guys made also a great Frozen themed Disney princess video!
I know a lot of people like Birchbox and other surprise box subscriptions and I want to try out one as well. I’m not so into make-up that I would pay for monthly delivery but my inner geek would love this geeky goodness: Nerd Block
Finally I really want to try this creamy coconut pumpkin soup, it sounds delicious!
I love to have paintings, collages and other art on the walls of my home. We have a big apartment considering that we’re just students and I didn’t like the huge white walls that looked really empty even after setting up all the furniture. So now we have a few paintings, posters and other things up but I’m always on the lookout for more. Here’s a little collection of what we currently have on display brightening up the place:
We like to have different “ethnic” things on the walls like Indonesian masks (gotten from a trip when we visited Ari’s family), bright-colored paintings and, of course, I need to have my Emma Watson posters and art collages. Right now I’m thinking of making more of my own art to get a very personal look for our apartment.
What do you like to decorate your walls with? And more importantly, any tips on where to get great artwork with student prices? ^^