During the weekend we threw a surprise birthday for our friend Oskar and I have to say it was one of the most successful surprise parties I’ve been a part of. Oskar’s girlfriend organized the party and asked our help in setting everything up. She had gotten amazing foods for the party: croissants with cheese, basil and strawberries; chocolate cake; blueberry pie as well as chips and chili nuts.
The secret to throwing a surprise party seems to be balancing the line of not telling the birthday girl/boy and not alienating them. I have once organized a surprise party and during the planning period the birthday girl started thinking that her friends didn’t like her anymore because we couldn’t hang out with her as much (since we were busy planning and setting up the party). This time it was a close call since many people had to blow off meeting up with Oskar but in the end, everything went great and no one ended up ruining the surprise.
We had gotten him a gift basket – kind of like a summer care package – with a jump rope, comics, sun screen, and other things. Me and Ari also made the punch, and here’s the recipe if you want to make some:
- bottle of white wine (something fruity)
- liter bottle of apple-grape juice
- 1,5 liter bottle of apple-flavored mineral water
- half a liter bottle of vodka
- bag of frozen berries (we used a mix with strawberries and raspberries)
It was such a fun party – even though I was suffering from a migraine earlier during the day – and it was fun seeing so many of our friends there! HAPPY BIRTHDAY OSKAR!
A little update on what I’ve my life lately:
- Barbecue at our friend Riku’s house: brilliant food (smoked salmon, lamb, salad, etc) and good company!
- Dinner with Ari’s dad and his girlfriend: we went to Helmi Grilli, which is a restaurant at the mall near our house.
- Enjoying the company of our new kitten, Merlin: he’s growing up so fast and it’s a lot of fun seeing all the new things he keeps learning!
- Cycling to the nearest beach: there’s a beach 30 min bike ride away from our house and we have been going there a lot – there’s a café that serves the best salmon soup and pancakes and the water is finally warm enough for swimming!
- Throwing a surprise party to our friend: more about this in the next blog post ;)
If you’ve followed my Instagram and/or Twitter, you know that we recently (less than two weeks ago, in fact) got a little kitten, who at the time was only 12 weeks old. We named the little guy Merlin and he is officially the cutest fur ball EVER. He is light orange with tiger stripes and, even though he was very shy at first, he has turned into a very sociable and cuddlesome kitty.
Merlin has already started to recognize his name and about half the time he even listens to the word “NO!” He cried a lot during the first days but now has settled down and accepted that there’s no use running away from the people who provide the food three times a day. He has had his first vaccinations and is a healthy kitten all around.
Things we have learned so far:
- It’s good to have several drinking places because cats don’t always recognize their thirst and might not otherwise drink enough.
- Kittens might seem to completely forget how to walk when you put a harness on for the first time (WARNING: you might actually die of laughter just watching your kitten wobbling around trying to learn how to walk again).
- Milk might actually cause stomach problems for cats.
- Get a climbing/scratching tree as soon as possible if you want to save your furniture.
- Some cats are clearly entertained by the sight of their owner picking up poop from the litter box (maybe it’s a power kick for them).
More updates on Merlin later – that’s guaranteed!
Have you guys been watching the new season of True Blood? I loved True Blood when it started and, even though I’m not a huge fan of the plot lines that have been going on during the last few seasons, I still want to watch every episode. Especially since this is the last season! I love the books too and I think Anna Paquin has done a great job in bringing Sookie Stackhouse to life. And who could not love Alexander Skarsgård?
I wanted to do a style collection inspired by Sookie simply because I adore her clothes! They’re always so feminine and pretty – even though she can be kick-ass too!
In this first set, all the dresses are from Modcloth. I noticed when I was putting this set together that the dresses that kept popping up that most reminded me of Sookie were all from there. IT’s understandable because Sookie is very girly and has a lot of even old-fashioned beautifully cut dresses. But if Modcloth isn’t quite in your price range, I’ve collected these cute separates that are all inspired by Sookie’s feminine but comfortable style.
Topshop blue cotton dress
, €22 / Belted dress
, €29 / Floral print dress
, €17 / H m dress
, €16 / Blue top
, €24 / Checkered flannel shirt
, €31 / Jane Norman shirts top
, €23 / Glamorous green tank top
, €18 / Boohoo floral print blazer
, €22 / Vero Moda coral blazer
, €27 / VILA blue jacket
, €35 / Pieces long jacket
, €27 / ONLY low waist jeans
, €35 / Skull shorts
, €29 / Foldover clutch
, €33 / Cross body
I feel like Sookie’s style is perfect for the summer. If you go with either a pair of black shorts with a cute denim jacket or a yellow sundress, you’ll be cute as a button for work or a party!
Firstly: I’m INSANELY late with this so, my apologies. And a huge thank you to Jess from Bookworms in Dresses for nominating me for a Liebster! Be sure to check her out: she blogs about books and food, and all things cool! (Almost rhymed.)
The rules for the Liebster award are:
- Thank and link the person who nominated you.
- Write the rules.
- Answer 11 questions and write 11 of your own.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers (who have less than 200 followers on their blog) and don’t forget letting them known that they have been nominated.
- Write 11 facts about yourself.
We had Helsinki Pride 2014 last weekend and – I think this was a real miracle considering the horrible storms and rain we’ve been having – it was actually really sunny and warm during the day of the parade and park event. I’ve gone to Pride for several years now with my friends and we had agreed on a picnic date this year as well. It was such a blast seeing everyone and eating picnic lunch while listening to all the great music that was played. Especially considering that we were showing support for a cause that is very dear to our hearts.
Pride week always shows up all over town and this year the Hard Rock Cafe celebrated by serving specially designed drinks like Melon Dreams (left) and Rainbow Power (right). In the evening there were several Pride parties but me and my friend ended up going to the official main party at Le Bonk, a nice club in the center of Helsinki, which has a really lovely roof terrace. The entertainment for the evening, in addition to the awesome DJ Miia Magia, was a pole dancing performance by a local pole dancing school Rock the Pole.
The entire day was filled with so much positivity and love that I wanted to share it with all of you! So hugs, equality, and love for you all!! <3